Friday, December 19, 2014

2014 Favorites

I have no idea why I'm compelled to put together these year end lists without fail, year in and year out. It undoubtedly stems from my love for music, and especially subversive music on the extreme end. Regardless of any of that, it's something I put quite a bit of thought into starting mid-November through December in many cases, if certain releases are prolonged well toward the end of the twelfth month.

This year was huge for metal. Much moreso than last year or even the prior year. I listened to more records, EP's, splits, this year than I had probably the last two combined. So I narrowed my choices down to a top 20, with honorable mentions. I'm not going to do much explaining until it gets down to the top ten of my choices, in a format that should challenge me to convey my thoughts.

Let's get on with it then:

20.
GODFLESH - A World Lit Only by Fire

19. 
WROUGHT IRON - Rejoice & Transcend

18. 
SKELETHAL - Interstellar Knowledge of the Purple Entity/Deathmanicvs Revelation

17. 
MARE COGNITUM - Phobos Monolith

16. 
CHAOS MOON - Resurrection Extract

15. 
VANHELGD - Relics of Sulphur Salvation

14. 
BLUT AUS NORD - Memoria Vetusta III: Saturnian Poetry

13. 
FUOCO FATUO - The Viper Slithers in the Ashes of What Remain

12. 
TRIPTYKON - Melana Chasmata

11. 
SPECTRAL LORE - III

For numbers ten up through one, I'll do something I have never done in a review or best of list to date: haikus conveying what they sound like and why they kicked my ass. Enjoy!

10. 
SWINE OVERLORD - Parables of Umbral Transcendance

Guttural sickness
Atmospheric decaying
Visceral madness

9. 
PANOPTICON - Roads to the North

Frostbitten elite
American, cult, lo-fi
Harsh journey musick

8. 
GRIDLINK - Longhena

Grinding bleak whirlwind
Discordant insanity
Twenty-one minutes

7. 
ARTIFICIAL BRAIN - Labyrinth Constellation

Tech death opulence
Swirling sci-fi craziness
Sepulchral madness

6. 
HIRAX - Immortal Legacy

Thrashing catchiness
Non-posturing badasses
Bay area vets

5. 
ABYSMAL LORD - Storms of Unholy Black Mass

Storming barbarism
Amp shredding heathen chaos
Blackened NOLA cult

4. 
MORBUS CHRON - Sweven

Swedish death evolved
Psychedelic, dreamy, lush
Cave your damn head in

3. 
FORESEEN - Helsinki Savagery

Streetwise, toungue-in-cheek
Ultra refined Crossover
Now thrash and destroy

2. 
DISENTOMB - Misery

Funereal madness
Sick, mournful brutality
Australian death

1. 
TEITANBLOOD - Death

Unrepentantly
Spanish blackened savagery
Sick, grinding, deathly

There are other albums I'd also like to acknowledge as having a hand in making this one of the most difficult to compile lists I've ever done, credited to the following artists in no discernable order: Incantation, Full of Hell/Merzbow, Body Hammer, Young & in the Way, Nunslaughter, Krieg, Barghest, Stages of Decomposition, Thantifaxath, Hooded Menace, Thou, Saor, the Body, Krieg, and Force of Darkness.



No comments: