Sunday, March 2, 2014

Eye Pollution: 10 Killer Album Covers

Yep, the last time I updated this beast was mid-December. That was a while ago, but I've got things to attend to. My intention isn't to abandon the blog entirely, but readership is sparse and inspiration often sparser. Initially I thought I'd simply put this post up along with countless other Facebook notes that I've published, where I have more readers/responders (really even a single responder here would be a stroke of benevolence on whatever natural force it is that compels individuals to peruse these things). My problem with the Facebook notes format is that it's extremely rudimentary. I simply prefer the layout here.

Anyway I digress, this isn't about that. It's about art. More specifically, art in extreme music, and in this case death metal. You may notice a trend that most of these come from the same era, but there's a reason for that. The second wave of death metal produced some of the most innovative artists, both musically and visually, which is why most of these have stuck with me so damn long. Maintaining that consistency, smarties might notice that at least half of these are courtesy of Dan Seagrave. That's because Seagrave paints amazing pictures. As you'll see below, Now, without further adieu:


(1993) Benediction - Transcend the Rubicon by Dan Seagrave
(1990) Autopsy - Severed Survival by Kev Walker [Censored Cover]

(1989) Sodom - Agent Orange by Andreas Marschall
(1985) Hirax - Raging Violence by Pushead
(1990) Obituary - Cause of Death by Michael Whelan
(1991) Sepultura - Arise by Michael Whelan
(1993) S.O.B. - Gate of Doom by Ed Repka
(1992) Edge of Sanity - Unorthodox by Bart Meganck
(1991) Entombed - Clandestine by Dan Seagrave
(1989) Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos by Jon Sibbick [2006 Reissue]

There you go, my favorite ten. This was hard to narrow down but these win hands down, as covers and pieces of art that have retained my attention and love for detail throughout the years. Every time I stare at these I find something else that I may not have noticed before, whether that's a minute detail in the foreground, or something happening in the background that steals my attention from the actual subject of the painting. As well, these are all in the years ranging between 1985-1993, as I said before during the time when this kind of album artwork was most relevant, before Photoshop basically killed the art form. But that's not to say it's dead entirely. Here's a few favorites dated post-2000 that hold up just as well:


(2011) Disma - Towards the Megalith by Ola Larsson
(2003) Decrepit Birth - ...And Time Begins by Dan Seagrave
(2013) Mammoth Grinder - Underworlds by Joe Petagno
(2014) Artificial Brain - Labyrinth Constellation by Paolo “Madman” Girardi

No comments: